Hometown: Lexington, KY (High)
Date of Birth: April 23, 1883
Date of Death: April 14, 1953
Legal Name: Joel White Guyn
Additional Photos: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8)
Kentucky Career Notes:
Multi-Sport Player [Football]
Obituary - J. White Guyn Dies; Service Set Tuesday, Lexington Herald (April 15, 1953)
Mr. Guyn, who lived at 375 Aylesford Place, was admitted to the hospital Sunday.
Appointed assistant city engineer in 1908, four years after his graduation from the University of Kentucky, he succeeded to the post of engineer in 1912.
In addition to his municipal service here, Mr. Guyn served as consulting engineer during street paving eras in Mt. Sterling, Ravena, Olive Hill, Paris and Frankfort.
He coached the UK football team for four season, was former member of the board of the family Welfare Society and was a member of the Central Christian church. He also belonged to the Kentucky Society of Professional Engineers, and, at a recent meeting of the society, was made an honorary life member.
His other affiliations included membership in the American Society of Civil engineers, Pi Kappa Alpha social fraternity, Odd Fellows and JOUAM. He was also a former member of the Lexington Optimist Club.
Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Lena Watson Guyn; a daughter, Mrs. Robert H. Davis, Arlington, Va.; a son, J. White Guyn Jr., Atlanta, Ga., and a brother, Leslie Guyn, High River, Alberta, Canada.
Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday at the W.R. Milward mortuary chapel. The Rev. Leslie R. Smith and the Rev. Thomas M. Johnston will officiate, and burial will be in the Lexington cemetery.
Pallbearers will be George W. Gard, Ben P. Barron, Raymond Guyn, Mason B. Jacoby, Neal M. Gordon and Eugene Hagan.
White Guyn was one of 4 children born to Joel White Guyn and Kate Davenport Guyn. His brothers were Isaac Howard, John Edward, and Leslie Lee.
He was city engineer and director of public works for the city of Lexington.
Educated at Lexington High School-1900, State University of Kentucky, now UK in 1904.
Married Lena Watson of Woodford County in 1906.
Elected assistant city engineer in 1908 and city engineer in 1912. At the expiration of his term he was retained in same position under commission form of government until 1931; reappointed by city manager in 1931 for a term of four years. Served as consulting engineer on paving of all streets in Mt. Sterling, Ravenna and Olive Hill and the paving of many streets in Frankfort and Paris. Supervised improvements on Elmendorf Farm, Idle Hour Farm and Calumet Farm owned respectively by J E Widener, Col. E R Bradley, and M W Wright. As municipal engineer, he has served longer than any other engineer in the south holding a similar position.
Former Sergeant, University of Kentucky Military Dept., coached University Of Kentucky football team for four seasons. Director of Family Welfare Society, Lexington; Democrat. Christian [Disciple of Christ], Member of KY Society of Engineers, National Society of Professional Engineers and American Society of Civil Engineers, I.O.O.F., Jr. Order, P. Kappa Alpha. Clubs-Optimist, Ellerslie Fishing; Office-Municipal Bldg. Residence 375 Aylesford, Lexington, Ky.
Obituary - J. White Guyn New York Times (April 16, 1953)
LEXINGTON, Ky., April 15 (AP) - J. White Guyn, former University of Kentucky football coach, died at a hospital today at the age of 69. Mr. Guyn, Lexington city engineer for thirty-one years, was captain of the university's football team in 1904. He was coach from 1906 through 1908.